Monday, March 2, 2009

15 Years With Tsukiden

During the 20th anniversary celebration of Tsukiden Software Philippines, Inc. (TSPI), I was awarded a Loyalty Award for 15 years of service with the company. This blog is a recollection of the points I delivered in my acceptance speech. Since the speech was done impromptu, there are areas where I wish to have used different words and references to express my thoughts more clearly.


I entered TSPI in 1994. TSPI recruitment was very selective back then. It was recruiting less than ten engineers annually from the best universities in the Philippines. I remember it was a rigorous screening process. First, you have to pass the initial interview with our dear Ms. Aleli Infantado, then Human Resources Manager. Second, you have to pass several sets of examinations – a technical exam covering computer hardware and software, a personality test and an IQ test. Third, you have to go through a technical panel interview. In my case, the interview was headed by Gary Guiang. Finally, you have to pass a confirmation interview with Ferns Yu and Lando Ang, who I had mistaken as a Japanese. I was so happy and so proud that I got hired.
The people that I had met and had the privilege to work with in TSPI are among the brightest people I have known. Most of them have moved on to new ventures but there still those who stayed with the company. Those who chose to remain are the managers and officers that currently run the organization. I am proud to be part of the TSPI 'family'.

I learned a lot in my first year. Like most of my colleagues, I travelled to Japan and got involved in challenging projects. But my first big break came in 1997 when I was assigned to head a small team to work in NEC Abiko – Processor Engineering Department. It was the first time that I took full responsibility of a project. I communicated directly with our Japanese clients and was deeply immersed in the product development cycle. The experience I gained was invaluable. I believe my career in TSPI rapidly moved up since then.



Without any intention to be presumptuous, I would like to give three pieces of advice to my colleagues with plans to have a long career with Tsukiden.


First, your personal values should have something in common with company values. Tsukiden values loyalty. Consider your stay in TSPI as an investment whose value increases over time.


Second, you basically need three skill sets - technical competence, management skills and Japanese language proficiency. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Develop your weakness and sharpen your strengths.


Third, work environment in TSPI could be very stressful because of the long working hours. There are situations where you have to give a personal sacrifice. You must find ways to have a balanced work and personal life. You also must have faith that if you always give your best and treat people fairly, blessings and good opportunities will come to you.


To our President, Mr. Hanzawa, thank you very much for this award.


To my colleagues, I look forward to working with you into the next 20 years of TSPI.

No comments: