Thursday, April 26, 2007

Japan Visa Blues

During my previous business trip in Japan, I 'unintentionally' overstayed and violated the terms of the visa duration. I found out after 60 days in Japan that I was allowed only to stay for 30 days. Stupid, I know.

As a penalty, I was banned from entering Japan for one year. After a year and half, the penalty has finally elapsed and I have a chance to visit Japan again.

Last Monday, I applied for a new business trip visa. Unfortunately, the Japanese government has a long memory and is apparently not very forgiving. Although the penalty has elapsed, the consulate required my guarantor to submit a letter of explanation for my previous violation.

Preparing the document is no big deal. Its having to wait through the long lines again that is so exhausting. I noticed that the consulate combined the processing lanes for business and for partner/spouse categories. As a result, it takes a longer time to process business visas. Japan has restricted entertainment visas but I was surprised by the volume of people trying to get a visa. I never seen the embassy so packed. The whole room was full and not enough for the crowd that the consulate added another line beside the building. Imagine yourself falling in line for an hour underneath the scorching sun.

I will be back again to finally get the visa. Hopefully, everything will proceed smoothly. I expect to get interrogated again by immigration authorities when I land in Japan. Like I said, the bureaucrats have a long memory.

From the embassy, Mr. Warikai and I had lunch at Kikufuji located along Pasong Tamo near Makati Cinema Square. It was my first time to visit the place. I recommend it to everyone who craves for authentic Japanese cuisine. Apparently, the place is a popular spot for Japanese expatriates and is also gaining a lot of local customers. I can't wait to go back and try other items in their menu.

No comments: