Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Geek and the Sanrio Obsessed

AKIHABARA

After a sukiyaki breakfast at a nearby Yoshinoya, I went to Akihabara. The walk from the inn to Akihabara took only around 10 minutes. Akihabara is the electronics town of Japan. Every geek should at one point in their life travel on a pilgrimage to this district of Tokyo.

It is a common past time for gaijins to window shop. For some time now, a new game console is on the top of my wish list.

Checkout the Bic Camera prices.
Playstation3 (60 GB) 59,980円
Playstation3 (20 GB) 49,980円
XBox 360 38,700円
XBox 360 (Core) 29,800円
Wii 25,000円

Ignore the price tag! In Japan, the PS3 rules!
Next in my wish list is a Mac Book. A MA699 (Mac Book 1.83) is priced at 139,800円. I think the price is reasonable and relatively cheaper compared to purchasing it in Manila.

Akihabara is a place to go when you are looking for bargains. I noticed that shops for used goods have increased. However, I personally prefer to purchase my electronic toys brand new. These good could breakdown early in their life and have a life span. When purchasing new products, warranty is very important. For example, I bought an iPod Mini the last time I was in Japan. After only a month, the cable broke down. It is a good thing that Apple offers a worldwide warranty. The Apple Service Center in Manila replaced it. When buying used computers, I noticed that shops only carries a 1-week waranty. Now, if you recognize that devices have a life span, you should realize that you are taking a huge risk when purchasing used computers. If you are still determined to buy a used computer, carefully check the condition of the device and find a good arrangement for a warranty.

Impulsive buyers can spend a fortune in this place. Unfortunately, I do not have a budget for toys :-( In the end of the day, I purchased nothing. Well, I still need a strong pursuasion to buy.

SHINJUKU

Next in my itenerary for the day is to buy omiyage. Girls go crazy over SANRIO products. My wife and daughter seem to be obsessed with the stainless water jug :-) The have a collection now. I think I tend to spoil them. But what could I do? I love them.


You could always rely on a ODAKYU mall to have a SANRIO shop. The variety and quality of the items sold in Japan are better that those sold in Gift Gate shops in Manila.

Tired and hungry, I had a hamburger steak lunch at Pepper Lunch. It was a heavy and tasty meal. I look forward to sample other choices in their menu.

No comments: