Friday, May 11, 2007

Yookoso

It was a very long day.

Restless. I think I only had 4 hours of sleep. I was up and ready at around 4 am.

My sister drove me to the airport. She would be flying to Las Vegas on the 20th to get married and to settle down. We may not see each other in the next 3 years. It is regretful that I can't be in Manila in the last week before she flies to the US. Fortunately, I would return to Manila on the 19th. At least, we still can have a day together.


NAIA

If you are traveling from Manila. It is advisable to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight. The lines to the check-in counter is as long as the lines for buying a ticket to watch Spiderman 3. It took me 1.5 hours to complete check-in, pass immigration and boarding inspection. I flew Japan Airlines. If you are flying Northwest, expect longer processing time. Security staff may inspect your check-in luggage. Really, American airlines have their own security staff.

Airport terminal fee increased from P550 to P750. Make sure you bring cash. Unlike other airports, you pay this fee before you get processed in immigration.




Make sure you follow these basic rules. Be at the boarding gate 60 minutes before the flight. Be ready to board 30 minutes before the flight. Remember, the gate will close 5 minutes before the flight.


NARITA

I really want to know the reason why they don't show inflight movies in JAL. Passengers have no other option but to read and to listen to their music selection.

I was anticipating some verification from Japan immigration. I wrote about this in Japan Visa Blues. Relieved! After waiting for 30 minutes in immigration, I got finally cleared. That's what you get when you have a bad rep. Make sure your travel papers are in order. It was a hard lesson for me. We should closely protect our freedom to travel. Remember, visiting to other countries is a privilege not a right.

TOKYO

涼しい!The first thing you notice once you stepped to the streets of Japan is the cool breeze. It was a welcome relief from the heat of Manila.

From the airport, I checked in to a business hotel. I am staying at Flexstay Kanda Inn until Monday. It has relatively new facilities. Nice place.

I will have a chance to witness the Kanda Matsuri or Festival. The festival is held on weekends close to May 15. Floats, wagons filled with dancers, and around 200 mikoshi are paraded through a large area of downtown Tokyo in honour of the deities of the Kanda Shrine, shinto priests on horseback accompany the parade. The main Kanda matsuri is held once every two years in odd-numbered years, while festivals held in even-numbered years are on a smaller scale.

Do you notice the close resemblance between the mikoshi and the Ark of Covenant?
To wrapup the day, together with Mr. Suzuki and Mr. Kudo, I had dinner with prospective clients. I met guys from AZing - Mr. Kurita and Mr. Shibuya. It was a pleasant meeting. For Japs, they seem to be cool guys. They had a bad experience in business outsourcing but look hopeful in doing business with us. Likewise, I hope we get this account.

No comments: