Wednesday, May 16, 2007

SODEC: Day One

Exciting! That is the best word to describe my day. I finally put my Marketing and Sales training into practice. Our legs were tired but we remain standing, attentive and wearing a smile. I approached strangers and started business talk. I got snubbed but I also found some client leads. I delivered a short company presentation in Japanese. By the way, the preparation for the speech was useful because you can carry the same message in private conversation and presentations with potential clients. Overall, it was a very productive and fulfilling day.
Tokyo Big Sight
Location of the 2007 Software Development Expo


Here are some of the tactics I think we did right.

1. Always be attentive. It is very important to establish eye contact before making an approach to a guest. Think of the eye contact as an invitation or an indicator of interest.

2. Have a Filipino and Japanese tandem in the booth. A Filipino exhibitor skilled in conversation gives a strong positive impression about the company. A Japanese exhibitor can effectively and emphatically explain the Philippine-Japan business situation.

Here are some tactics I think we should improve next year.

Philippine Booth


1. Booth location. Try to get a corner spot where there is heavier traffic. There is a better chance for an encounter with a potential client. As a countermeasure, I suggested that we stand at the angle of the blind spot with the brochures for visitors to see the company name.



Taiwan Booth

2. Poster and Signage location. The poster is placed at about a 30-degree angle with the hallway. There is a blind spot where the poster cannot be seen. Also, the location of the signage should be higher to catch attention. I think the Taiwan booth a good example of signage location.

I must admit that I paid little attention to the details of the booth design during the preliminary meetings. It was only during the site inspection after comparing with the other booths can the shortcomings be realized.

3. Audio Visual Presentation. There is a common LCD screen. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, the combined presentations of the participant in the Philippine booth cannot be played (unsupported format?). Each participant can play shows within its area using a notebook computer. However, it was very evident to that this does not attract attention. I did not see someone who stopped by to view the presentation in the small screen of the computer. An LCD monitor could be better.

4. Presentation materials. Posters, brochures and Powerpoint presentations should be reviewed and revised, periodically. Preparation for this event should be an annual planned activity.

I strongly support our annual participation to SODEC. It is a cost-effective measure to promote the Tsukiden brand as the best option for software development outsourcing in the Japan market.

No comments: